Learn to speak Romanian
If you want to learn to speak Romanian, in today's post you'll see an blitzkrieg approach from Babble Magazine, but also you'll find the address for Romanian classes and a list of essential Romanian words and phrases.
"Babble Magazine" has challenged four of the best multilingual world try to learn Romanian in one hour.
Matthew Youlden, Michael Youlden, Luca Lampariello and Alex Rawlings are all hyperpolyglots who speak over ten languages. They were brought over to Berlin and they were challenged them to learn as much Romanian as possible in just one hour. We teamed them up with four Romanian native speakers who were tasked with teaching them through conversation. The polyglots weren't allowed to use any other language aside from Romanian. As you can see in the video, they made quite significant progress! Have a watch, feel inspired, and learn a language!
"Life simply becomes more interesting when you speak a new language."
Luca is from Italy and works as a language trainer and Alex, Matthew and Michael are all from the UK. Michael is a Professor, Matthew is an Ambassador of Languages for Babbel and working on a Ph.D. in linguistics and Alex works in trading (exports), and also is the co-organizer of the 2012 Polyglot Conference at the Oxford University UK, where he has been selected as "multilingual student of the year in the UK".
Their achievements are quite impressive and for the team at TTDIB the video was an inspiration as to what a tourist might learn whilst visiting Bucharest.
Tips from the pros for learning romanian
- Luca clearly used his Russian to approach the intonation and the variety of vowels in Romanian. Alex counted on Portuguese and Hungarian, for the structure of words or when building sentences. The twins just fished in the Slavic (well, we'd say Balkan) and romance territory.
- Use the same approach as the guys from the movie. Find a Romanian "teacher" with a fluent level of English or of your native language and ask them to tell you about the basics.
- Alternatively, you can go to a free class tight here in Bucharest (you will find information about that, later on this post).
- Get accustomed to the Romanian alphabet and pronunciation. Get accustomed to the Romanian specific characters: "ă"; "î" or "â" (both sound the same), "ş", and "ţ".
- Learn some basic words and sentences in Romanian. They're useful even if you don't want to study the language and are just going on a trip to Romania.
What if I know another Latin language?
"Will it be easy to learn Romanian if I know Italian or French or Portuguese language!"
Yes and no.
Some Latin origin words are really similar, some others evolved quite differently, as the Romanian language was isolated from the rest of the romance speaking word for decades at a time. Moreover, there is a steady Slavic influence in vocabulary and grammar. Plus, to the lesser extent and more in the vocabulary, from Turkish, Hungarian and Greek languages. That's why this language is so beautiful, because it connects west and east.
Free Romanian class for beginner level in Bucharest
ROLANG School specializes in teaching Romanian language courses to international students (business people, Embassies staff, employees, University students and of course, tourists). Programs are suitable for adult students of all ages as well as for the different language skills requirements.
Types of courses: courses for beginners, intermediate and advanced learners: class courses, individual and online courses, summer school.
They also provide free Romanian course for beginner level with a duration of 1.5 hours. The intermediate level people are welcome too.This free course will help you to taste Romanian language and decide if you want to register to the next payable module. Use the registration form from ROLANG website!
Schedule of free courses to learn Romanian:
- On Thursday, 20th of October 2016, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- On Monday, 9th of January 2017, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- On Wednesday, 8th of March 2017, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- On Wednesday, 10th of May 2017, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- On Wednesday, 23rd of August 2017, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- On Wednesday, 18th of October 2017, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm
Essential Romanian words and phrases
These could be the first words you need to know if you visit Romania or if you want to learn to speak Romanian:
|You (polite and respectful form)||Dumneavoastră||/dum.ne̯a’vo̯as.trə/|
|Thank you very much||Mulţumesc frumos||/mul.ʦu’mesk fru’mos/|
|No, thank you||Nu, mulţumesc||/nu | mul.t͡su’mesk/|
|(This is the best way of politely turning somebody down)|
|You’re welcome||Cu plăcere||/ku plə’t͡ʃe.re/|
|You’re literally saying “with pleasure”|
|You’re welcome||Pentru puțin||/’pen.tru pu.ʦin/|
|You’re literally saying For little|
|Please (informally)||Te rog||/te ‘rog/|
|Please (formally)||Vă rog||/və ‘rog/|
|Excuse me (informally)||Scuză-mă||/’sku.zə.mə/|
|Excuse me (formally)||Scuzaţi-mă||/sku’za.t͡si.mə/|
|I’m sorry||Îmi pare rău||/ɨmʲ ‘pa.re rəw/|